1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming or Download

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Darksidehearts, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    I'm always a bit curious about how people view their anime and what they like. So how do you like your anime? -Cut & paste? Yes please.

I prefer to download a show from a subbing group and then convert it to play on my PSP so I can see it wherever I go.

2. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I download it so I can watch on my PS3, or on my computer in awesome quality. The only times I stream is when I'm impatient for something or don't care enough to wait ^^
    (...don't tell anyone! This is illegal in my country since a few years back >.<)

3. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure it's illegal everywhere, especially when any show gets licensed, try looking for Air TV or Chrno Crusade now-a-days. Either way your secret is safe with me ;)

I'm so used to the PSP the thought never even dawned on me to convert them to play on the PS3 >_<

What kind of program and settings do you use? I currently use FormatFactory for MKV files with subtitles, convert them to AVI and then with Mediacoder encode them to PMPAVC formatted .PMP files for my PSP.

4. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

...Oh dear, I wouldn't be able to convert files and such. I just download it in .avi or .mp4, if it only exists in .mkv I just watch on the computer. The downer is also that subs don't work if it's in a separate file, so watching British tv-shows can be a little difficult ;P I think I've tried looking for a program to convert mkv-files into avi or mp4, but I'm not a big fan of dozens of separate programs that are good for only one thing.

5. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Well in general you don't have to convert a file because as you said, you can view it on the computer or a device with native support based on the original file type. Basically it depends on the source of where you get your media from.

Converting to one file is usually all that is needed but I take it a step further because I enjoy the whole encoding process, I know it's a weird thing to like huh? The process of encoding something to PMP is very much an outdated method but I still prefer it to other formats for the PSP because it saves on size and retains the original quality of the encoded file. I'm sure there is far more efficient methods than what I do and probably yield far more interesting results but in the end I enjoy my own personal process.

I know what you mean though, it's a pain to have to go through tons of programs in order to do one process. You don't know how long it took me to finally be able to find a couple of programs just to do what I'm currently doing without crashing or running into encoding issues. Also considering subbing groups are using containers like MKV far more than AVI in the following years, it's become even more difficult to follow the good old drag-and-drop method which the vast majority of converting software are built for specifically. When you bring embedded and external subtitles into the picture, well then that's a whole new mess as you've pointed out. The only suggestion I can make is FileFactory because it actually does what I want it to do, allows me to convert a MKV to something else while letting me choose the audio and subtitle options. I can even encode an entire season of episodes all within the same process. Of course the main issue is having to adjust settings for each video but in my opinion it's not that big a deal and takes only a few seconds. There are many others that do that in some capacity and I spent a good several months trying to figure it out but thus far the easiest was this application.

The main issue I had on and off for years was finding something that allowed me to convert to PMPAVC, that has been the bain of my existence and has made me pull my hair out on many occasions. The only program that did it well was PenGUIn for Mac os X, even then it was very restrictive on what it could encode and would constantly limit the frames to 25, even if the media had 30 or 60. Finally after digging through some of my old contacts from PSPCrazy, I managed to find a former member who used to pair with me to formulate many different methods of getting media and applications on the portable device. She sent me a link to the MediaCoder website where part of the coding we did was incorporated for their PSP edition application. They managed to perfect what we tried to do years ago and believe me I couldn't be happier, although she's still angry about them taking our work and making it free for the public.

I might do a guide for my process of encoding on here sometime. I finished downloading some a couple of movies so it would be convenient all the way around.

6. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I can certainly understand how someone can be interested in encoding things, I would love to understand that sort of thing but unfortunately I would get way too confused to do it myself :P I'm proud to be able to make external hard-drives PS3-compatible. But I'm glad that there are people who are interested in it, it helps everyone else. I would think it great if someone perfected a work I had started so that others can use it if they need to.
    It sounds pretty tempting to get hold of a program that can convert .mkv into whatever I want so I'll have no trouble watching animé and other tv-shows and movies with my mom of friends on the TV, but I think I'm fine with the way things are now. It sounds a little bit too complicated for me, and I don't like putting effort into something that might not work. But it's awesome you can do stuff like that and like doing it :D

7. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Exactly, at the end of the day all that matters is that you find a way to enjoy watching your shows anyway that you'd like.

8. Kyrika

Kyrika Advanced Player

When I convert stuff to watch on PSP/PSVita/PS3 I use a program called pspvc. Should be the first thing to come up on google. It gives you various options and quality settings actually for converting to those systems. Just open the file in it, go into the settings to turn on subtitles, if any, and then click convert and away it goes. Just so you know, anything you convert to play on PSP will also run on PS3 just fine, just you may want to convert specifically for PS3 for higher quality.

9. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Well the problem with what I do is that the .PMP file only plays on the application PMPlayerAdvance for the PSP. If I were to convert to .MP4 then perhaps it would work just fine. I like your suggestion and will give it a go for making PS3 videos Kyrika. All this conversion talk is making me want to go back to making Dreamcast compatible videos as well now XD

10. Kyrika

Kyrika Advanced Player

Oh, wasn't aware you had something like that. Pspvc just converts stuff to MP4 so it'll work on pretty much anything.

11. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Well I'm always willing to try a new program out even if it might do the same things as others.

12. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Kyrika, that sounds great! I might try it :)

13. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

I stream if the stream is a high quality. For example, if I can watch something on Crunchyroll in 720p/1080p, I will. If I have to watch something on Funimation's site in 360p? No thanks.

(Note: That's only in regards to legal streaming. I don't use illegal streaming sites because that's a waste of episode quality.)

14. Suyo

Suyo Master of Unfortunate SAFEs
    Legendary Supporter

Website Maintenance, amateur Game Coder
    Home Page:
    http://www.greencouchgames.net
    I usually watch most anime on Crunchyroll if it's there. I still download though, since there are shows which are not on CR, and I always download every show I finish just so I can archive it and rewatch it. My external HDD contains almost every anime I ever watched...

15. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Same here, especially considering that show your watching or just finished within time may be impossible or very difficult to download later on. So keeping a backup is always a good thing, finding the space to do so on the other hand can be a "fun" process sometimes. I'm curious, what's your organization system like for archiving Suyo? Do you set up folders with seasons, specials and movies or dump them all in the same folder?

16. Suyo

Suyo Master of Unfortunate SAFEs
    Legendary Supporter

Website Maintenance, amateur Game Coder
    Home Page:
    http://www.greencouchgames.net
    Usually I have a folder for each series, and subfolders for each season. OVAs and things are just dumped right in the anime folder. I'm also using Linux' symlinks to create sorting, so I have a folder for looking up anime based on genre, number of seasons, score I'd give it etc. Symlinks are really useful.

Also I've been working on making folder icons which looks pretty neat too.

17. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Oh wow, I didn't know you could do that in Linux. Well then I guess it's time to take out my Macbook and do some sorting then XD

I like your idea of having the folder icons themselves incorporating an element for a specific anime. I used to create backgrounds for my folders but found that once I transitioned to working on PC's that customization feature was no longer available.
    - - - -

[Edit] February 17 2013 7:04PM EST
    I'm surprised I still have a screenshot but this is what I used to do before, apparently I did custom media icons as well...along with a custom theme for my Mac. Geez...thinking back on it, all the tweaks and such I did to that machine. No wonder it ran so slow.
    [​IMG]
    Hmm...I just noticed that I didn't blend the color of the original image with the background too well, eh I was new to Photoshop back then. This is not the exact sorting system I used to do but it's similar.

18. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

I tried out pspvc and while I find it lacking it's the only program I know of where you're able to do this with. I fixed subtitles on an entire season of Doctor Who and while it helped a lot I don't think I'll continue doing this. It took 40 minutes to fix one episode, the colours weren't exactly correct and the text could look better, it didn't really look as HD as I would've hoped (and I chose the best quality).

Otherwise I don't think I should complain, I got what I wanted after all, but the program could use some fixing. Still, thanks for the tip, it helped a bit after all :) I have now ordered the DVD-box, so I won't need those episodes I fixed anymore xD

19. elPresidente

elPresidente Big Debut

As for me, I dload them, because what I hate most about streams are buffering times and the video's quality.
    Downloads provide high definition and do not need any buffering :D
    And also a benefit of dloading is that I can watch them on my PS3, which does not or barely support streams correctly ;)

20. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

PS3 supports HD streaming well through official channels. YouTube (Funimation, etc.), Hulu (only with Plus), Crunchyroll (only with a subscription), etc. There's plenty of free stuff (mostly Aniplex) on Crackle, as well. Madoka, Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari, Fate/Zero, whatever.

Pirate streams, on the other hand, yeah. Those don't work well. Nor should they. They're awful for a number of reasons, not all of which are morality-based. Quality is also a concern.