1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Random notes/strats on Mix Mode gameplay

Discussion in 'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA MEGA39s / Mega Mix' started by Doctopus, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Doctopus

Doctopus Project Alpaca "BDFL"

#1 Doctopus, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    So I've been screwing around with Mix Mode for some time now and I figured it's time to write something about it.

Bypassing cursor acceleration

There is an acceleration mechanism in Mix Mode that the more the cursor leaves the center, the faster it travels. In some circumstances it might hurt the input precision. To bypass this, flip the joycons upside-down and make the SL/SR button facing yourself. Note that this way the cursor always travels at the fastest speed possible so it might be desireable to slow down the cursor speed in settings.

(Trivia: This is really similar to how bypassing gyro slider assist worked on FT. Coincidence?)

Input remapping

On a recent system update Nintendo added system-wide button remapping feature to the switch controllers. This can be used to remap the L/R/ZL/ZR buttons to make it less tiring to play Mix Mode for longer period of time. Combining with Bypassing cursor acceleration, it makes sense to remap ZL/ZR to left SR and right SL accordingly and use the thumbs to press them.

Improve spamming

Since Input remapping exists, it also makes sense to map L/R to the other S buttons to enable dual wielding and improve spamming on same colored notes. This might take a while for one to get used to but it might be worth trying.

My current strat

Basically combining the above: Holding joycons upside-down with S buttons facing me, remap the keys so that the top S buttons are ZL/ZR and bottom S buttons are R/L. I also set the cursor speed to -5 to compensate the always accelerating cursors and make sure that my pinkies are always above the real ZL/ZR buttons so that I don't accidentally touch them during gameplay (it's also possible to just disable them in the button remap settings). On several unscientific test runs it worked fine for me (even the dual wielding part) but I'm still a n00b and thus all those are for reference only. Try these for yourself to see if it could bring a potential improvement or not. :D