1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on button sound

Discussion in 'General' started by Almeria, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I didn't see a similar thread (or many other chatty threads for that matter :P) and it's something I've been thinking about for almost a year, since I started playing PD.

What are people's opinions on the button sounds? Most people who post youtube-clips of them playing the games don't use the button sound, and I'd like to know why; do you find it distracting? Does it make your gameplay better? Maybe you think button sound is just for n00bs? Just curious :)

I personally always use the button sound - it makes me feel safer, otherwise it doesn't feel like I'm pressing the buttons at all. I can play fairly good without the sound, but I still prefer to have it. But I'm picky with the sound - I always use number 7 that sound like a tambourine, I really love the sound of it. I get easily annoyed by the other sounds you can choose from.

If I may give my theory on why people don't use the button sound, I believe it might be from the fact that in Project Diva 1 you couldn't choose which button sound you want, only if you want it or not. Since I started with PD2, I had grown accustomed to my fave-sound and got annoyed when I couldn't choose the one I wanted (like I said, I don't really like the other sounds), leading me to prefer no button sound. I admit I didn't play the game for long and when back to 2nd and Extend almost immediately xP

This is my opinion and theory, please correct if I'm wrong about something, and I hope you will give me your personal opinion on the button sound (overusing words, yay!), I have been wondering for a long time. I also apologize if the thread is misplaced or just generally stupid xD

aruku007 likes this.
  2. Suyo

Suyo Master of Unfortunate SAFEs
    Legendary Supporter

Website Maintenance, amateur Game Coder
    Home Page:
    http://www.greencouchgames.net
    I use button sounds, but with the volume turned down a lot (Music 10, SFX 2). I just need some audio feedback how close I was to hitting the note exactly right.
    I can see why some people dislike the button sounds though, since they just want the song without some random sound effect, which is additionally always the exact same and might get annoying.

3. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

O_O I have never thought of that. I didn't even know the button sound could be turned down. I feel a tiny bit stupid right now.

And you definitely have a point ^^

EDIT: Though now that I think about it I actually use the button sound to check if the volume is right, so it would be very confusing for me to lower the button volume xD I think I'll stick with what I'm used to.

4. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    i always use the button sound 1, the others are too annoying and unmatching. having button sounds during gameplay is like suyo said a lot better to get some audio feedback.

5. SynZidane

SynZidane Advanced Player

I can play just as well with button sounds as without, but as a preference I tend to play with the button sounds on.
    However, I'm completely baffled as to why sounds 7 and 8 I believe are button sounds, they are totally off putting. My favourite sound (Tambourine tap) is not in the game, but hopefully I will be able to select it in Project Diva F, For now it's button sound 3 for me though.
    I prefer the more neutral sounds.

6. Potatofriez

Potatofriez The Odds & Ends keeps a smiling face.

Student
    I like using the button sounds, it helps keep me on-target with note timing. I usually use 3 or 4 as my button sound.

7. codestation

codestation Newbie Player

No sound for me, i found that i miss more notes with the button sounds so i prefer to disable them completly.

8. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    I keep changing them every now and again. When I started playing 2nd, I switched the sound off which went fine for a while but then experimented with a few of them. The ones I tend to use the most are 1, 2, & 7. If it seems like I'm not in the best mood or sync I usually switch between some to see if I'm feeling it better.

*I know 7 (Christmas Bell?) is not best for most but I seem to do better with it then the others. Maybe it's my memories of my Nana coming to be with us around the Holidays.

9. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

May as well respond since it's been bumped.

I don't like the button sounds for a few reasons. The big two are that A) they detract from the song, and B) not being able to hear the song clearly makes it harder for me to learn it and match inputs to the beats and lyrics. Other than that, I just don't really like the way they sound.

10. Magical39

Magical39 Pro Player

Playing Project DIVA with no Hitsound = impossible for me to play. I rather fail songs with no hitsounds :|

Hitsounds are these, which makes me getting PERFECT with very good COOL Rates, which is important for me for highscoring.

I change hintsound depending how good I can peform with song:
    Hitsound 1: Allrounder. Working good on most songs.
    Hitsound 3: (Project DIVA f -> 2): Best sound. Fits nearly on all songs. Semi-Allrounder
    Hitsound 5: (Project DIVA f -> 4): Hard to use. Can improve on hard scoring songs. Best for Streams.
    Hitsound 6: (Project DIVA f -> 5) Allrounder. Works like Hitsound 1. Need this especially for Unhappy Refrain.
    Project DIVA f Hitsound 7: New Allrounder. Since I can only use this in PDf, I just use it haha.

11. infinity

infinity Little traveler

I keep the standard sound, i didn't even try the others sounds

12. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Sorry, didn't mean to revive a thread but it was on my mind and well.....

13. Kaon

Kaon シュープリーム

I must agree with MagicalMiku- I would rather hit the notes with sound effects so I know whether or not I'm in sync with the song so I can score high as well. *laughs*
    Don't worry about it. As long it gives others some activity to discuss about, it's fine. :3

14. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

I'm focusing more on the default one, at least for this week it seems to help out a lot but I think I'll switch it over the weekend because I'm starting to slip a bit on songs that I didn't have issues with before.

15. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh, I've never switched sound, ever. I'll stick to nr 7 forever <3

I also realize it was pretty silly of me to believe that only nooby people used button sound and that... "elitists" or something didn't. I feel more comfortable both playing and watching others play on Youtube if the button sound is on, and I feel better knowing most people use it, even the pros ^^

16. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

At the end of the day it's up to what's comfortable for you to do while you play.

aruku007 likes this.