1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion My problem with Project DIVA X...

Discussion in 'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X & Project DIVA X HD' started by MikuHatsune, Apr 5, 2016.

1. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    Now since I was finally able to play Project DIVA X and just unlocked the 5th medley (haven't completed it though so I wasn't able to do quest challenges yet) I wanted to share something which is bugging me about this game and I want to know if you feel the same way.
    I'm happy though we got a new game of the series and the songs are kinda lovely for me this time but still, the game feels a bit like a downgrade, like something is missing.

- UI Skins gone. They gave the game (F2nd) an additional kind of customization.
    - PVs like "Meteor" in 2D style are gone. None of these X PVs are telling an actual story, they're all just simple dance PVs. In older games you had songs like Sekiranun Graffiti which were still telling some kind of a story. Or if you need another example: Kagerou Daze.
    - Multiple PV endings gone. Even the new Module Drop animation can't change this. The new animation is nice but why not having both? Wouldn't it be some kind of a better reward to see a "better ending" in each PV?
    - DIVA Room and minigames gone. Except that weird new present UI almost every interaction is gone! All you can do is to poke the Vocaloid of your choice...
    - AR mode gone. It's just the Photo mode which is left.
    - Less songs than F & F2nd. Well it has the medley and the live show feature but still.
    - Lined-Up Star Notes and Double Star notes are gone.
    - Unlocks in Play Mode are gone. It's all about the Quest Mode now but if you want to play competitive and try to perfect every song you have nothing else to unlock except for trophies.
    - DIVA Points are gone. You get everything unlocked by playing over time and/or by play specific songs with a specific song with a random drop. You can't even choose what you want to unlock first by exchanging your points.
    - Loading Screens are gone. Everytime you get a loading screen you just see that orb thing... The only artworks you see are the song preview pictures...
    - The new present mode is too confusing for import players. If you can't understand anything you will always end up giving them the wrong presents and just have to try to "grind" the affection meter up.
    - Edit Mode gone and replaced with that Live Edit feature. Well at least we get full song versions (no shortened game versions) for this mode (if you play on a japanese account and download the DLC) but all you can do is changing stage, camera, lights, etc...
    - Even though I'm the total Miku fan and don't really care about MEIKO, KAITO or Len I still have the feeling they're be treated unfair. There are NO single PV songs for MEIKO and KAITO for example. The only song with MEIKO as lead singer is Amazing Dolce and the only song with KAITO as lead singer is that Power Rangers song but both are PVs for 3 characters! Rin, Len and Luka have at least ONE single PV song each. I have the feeling they appeared more in F and F 2nd than X (except the story cutscenes in X).
    - The Power Rangers song. No. Just no. And the extreme chart: NO. JUST NO!
    Anything else I forgot?

I have mixed feelings about this game. The new songs are nice and I kinda like them (except that Power Rangers Song, i hate that one) but there are so many features I miss.

2. MeowKitty15

MeowKitty15 Newbie Player

Yeah, I have some problems with PDX as well. Though I do still like the game. At first when I found out that there's no story pv's I was disappointed but then ok with it. Now that I've actually played it, it does feel like it's missing something, and is a little disappointing.

Another thing is the way the modules drop. I actually do like that it's random, but a problem that I'm getting is now that I've only 2 or 3 modules left of each of the vocaloids its getting EXTREMELY difficult to get the last ones that I need even though I'm using the new module up lv 4 module and playing songs that are the same element that the remaining ones are. It's become ridiculously tedious. So I like the idea, but they definitely need to make it alot more likely for new modules to drop then it is if they were to keep this feature for the next game.

I definitely agree with the no loading screen art. That was one feature that I really enjoyed in the previous games. I don't understand at all why they removed that especially since there is art in the album section and when you see the credits there's tons of art in the backround. Why couldn't they use those? Unless I have some setting turned on that prevents them from appearing (because in the last games you could set which pictures you wanted to show up or not), but I doubt that. It was a simple feature, but I miss it.

I'm also disappointed in the lack of songs from the other vocaloids. It must suck for someone who really likes KAITO when the only song he got was with other vocaloids and was a joke type of song on top of that (even though I do like Urotander).

It is kind of annoying how I can't tell what presents they're asking for but I don't have any say on if it's a bad feature or not because this version of the game isn't targeted towards someone who doesn't understand. So I couldn't say anything negative about that or any of the story line.

Even though I am disappointed in the fact that there's no edit mode. I'm still expecting to get a lot of play time with this game. In PDF I never downloaded any edits and despite that I still put over 300 hours into it. (Though I did put over 600 on F2nd because I downloaded edits).

One of the positives about the game would be the song choice, there may not be as many as I would have liked but I do like the majority of the selections. Another positive would be the new modules, X probably has my favorite selection of new modules that were added (when comparing only the modules that are new or redone(as in f2nd's) in each game).

I also really like the medley idea. I was uncertain at first, but now that I've played the game I really like them. I hope they continue with the medleys.

I think this game was pretty experimental so there'd probably be a lot of things that people wont like. I just hope they take the good things from this game that most people liked and add them to the next game while having it be more similar to the previous games. In the end I definitely still really like PDX and even though it has problems, it is still a success for me :)

3. tojushiro

tojushiro Intermediate Player

Teacher
    I feel the exact same way. Although for me the biggest and most unforgivable thing is that Live Quest mode doesn't save your score. You can only get high scores in Free Play mode, but you can't unlock anything by playing it. Every play for score is time not spent unlocking things and vice versa.

And the most difficult songs aren't anywhere near reasonable. I haven't played much Extreme yet, but Urotander and the Ultimate medley are just downright stupid in my opinion. There's hard and then there's unreasonable. When you get to the point where you're hiding targets behind targets of a different shape or speeding up songs that were already brutally difficult, it's just not fun anymore.

That being said, most of the rhythm game is pretty fun. They've basically had the formula perfected since the 2nd game XD This is by far the weakest in the series for me, though.

4. galafador

galafador Welcome to DIVA!

exactly what you said, i feel the same way at first hours of playing. but after that, i don't really find those things a bother except the fact that the scores in live mode isn't recorded and there are very few songs for the vocaloid other than miku. to unlock modules we need to play the songs using our vocaloid of choice, and to get modules other than for miku we either need to use other vocaloid on miku's songs or play their own song until we're bored to death, though i kinda feel uneasy using kaito for example on miku songs lol. (since the voice didn't change, unlike in project mirai)

as of difficulty, i like it in this game. urotander extreme have a really ridiculous chart yes, but i like it. i played many rhythm games and there must be one of those ridiculous charts in any one of them. i laughed hard at those shooting stars at urotander extreme on my first play haha.

5. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    OK, given I haven't played X myself yet, cause I'm waiting for the PS4 version, but I agree on Urotander being the stupidest chart I've ever seen. Like seriously, even the stupidest Edits in F 2nd didn't have such complete BS for a chart.
    As for the Ultimate medley: That mostly seems like they nerfed the charts of the songs quite a bit. Like, there are less button changes, especially on arrows, for instance. As for speeding them up: I don't think they did speed them up by much. I sure don't feel much of a difference.

As for scores: Live Quest only has the Voltage meter, no scores, no "Standard, Great, Excellent" ratings, they'd have to have made the game keep score in the background on Live Quest if they wanted that to transfer to free play. They should have done a bunch of stuff different about this all.

6. GenKaidou

GenKaidou Intermediate Player

Just curious, but why do you guys feel Urotander's note chart is stupid? It's gimmicky, for sure but that's what I love about it. The patterns are interesting, like how the Sweet Devil segment of the Beauty Medley had the last bit of the verse charted like a devil's tail(IMO). I like it when the developers take time to make interesting looking note charts. Tsumi no Namae is a really good song but that chart is so darn boring! It's just alternating between the top and bottom of the screen, what a snooze fest!

To add on! I really wish they'd have let us import songs from F/F 2nd into X to play during Live Quest as well. No, 5 songs +1 medley is NOT enough variation to grind for 7 gems. It gets depressingly boring listening to the same songs over and over and over again. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, or it's just me. For what it's worth, I DO like the song list this time around, there's not one I particularly dislike listening to.

7. MeowKitty15

I'm one of the people that actually does like Urotander's note chart. I think it's interesting and different. Once you've played it a few times you start to understand the patterns, and I kind of like a chart that takes some getting used to.

Also about playing the songs over and over again until they get boring in order to unlock something.....I hope you're not planning on getting all the modules because if you are than.....try to have fun with that lol. I know I am (sarcasm) T_T

8. Remiccino

Remiccino Big Debut

You can press triangle to preview presents before giving them!
    Might be they are rare modules, you can check on the wiki if your remaining ones are. If they are rare, play the corresponding Special Live that has guaranteed rare drop of that element plus the new module up lv.4. It always works for me.

After 50 hours of playing, I have finally stopped crying over Edit Mode and just hope for the next game. I feel like they're over-abusing the good songs in this game to cover up all the other missing features.

9. GenKaidou

GenKaidou Intermediate Player

Yes! It was annoying at first but I had a lot of fun getting used to Urotander's note chart. And it's actually extremely easy considering its difficulty rating is so high. And it only has 400+ notes.

On the topic of unlocking modules, I actually have gotten all of Rin's and Luka's and about 75-80% of Miku's so I'm not faring too bad. It is so annoying to see a repeat pop up, I admit.

10. galafador

galafador Welcome to DIVA!

I'm now at the point where when i got the same module in a song, i just hit start and restart lol

11. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    I can tell you exactly what is stupid about it. This is a RHYTHM game, not a "Can you read the chart"-game. And that chart is about as unreadable as it gets.

12. MeowKitty15

Oh my goodness, thank you soooooo much! I looked up to see which ones were rare and all of them except 1 were rare. So I unlocked some of those the way you mentioned. For the other ones, I noticed from the wiki that they had to be obtained by playing one of the first two lives (the wiki was incomplete the last time I checked the requirement part and then for some reason I never bothered to look back at it later). I had assumed that only the new modules had specific requirements like that. So this whole time I was trying to unlock them the hard way/impossible way. It was a good thing I expressed my frustration and got a reply or else the game would have driven me to insanity lol.

Now I have every module of all 6 vocaloids unlocked, and now that I know how to actually unlock them correctly I'll have to take back my negativity towards the way the modules drop. Yay! One less thing to dislike about the game!

13. tojushiro

Teacher
    The problem with Urotander is that it tries to trick you. It's not just fast or complicated, it actively hides the notes from you. It bothers me so much. I did eventually clear most of the missions for it, but I didn't have an ounce of fun doing it.

14. AjidoMarujido

AjidoMarujido Newbie Player

Urotander's note chart is easily the worst note chart in Project Diva history. It's not hard, it's maybe a 7 star chart if the notes are set up normally, but it's nothing but gimmicks and tricks strung together to give the appearance of difficulty.

Hiding targets, screwing with targets speed, putting consecutive notes arbitrarily all over the screen, having notes fly in from the immediate close side, etc... Nothing that has anything to do with rhythm, it's nothing but "Remember, this triangle comes flying in at 500 mph." It's all just memorization, after playing it 5-10 times, I could perfect it fairly easily.

15. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    The song still relies on entirely on rhythm though. All the notes do is come in at extremely different times. You could HEAVILY argue the same concept with challenge items like Panic, Drunk Notes, and Hidden Target. All the notes still go to the exact beat of the song, and every single note shows up before it's supposed to be hit. For example, the Square, X, Square trick, Square, Circle, Square trick, vertical Os and Triangles on the right side trick, and Speedy Chance Time Star all give a chance to look at the note before it's pressed. While these and many others only give you a fraction of a second to look at, they still visibly show up before hitting the target exactly on beat. And to clear up too, speed also should not be considered an issue. This is in fact a PROJECT DIVA game, the game series so infamous for its high speed note charts.

Overall though, I think there's a bit of an overreaction to this song's chart. It's probably a one time thing, and personally, I love this concept. Reminds me of some of DDR's complex, clustered note charts.

16. dorothy3242

dorothy3242 Advanced Player

I think making a chart hard to read is a legitimate way to add to a song's difficulty. The majority of charts on extreme (and a bit below as well) do this to some extent or another, just none to such an extreme extent as urotander. Such as Rin chan now basically being the same rhythm over and over, just the way it's read progressively getting less straight forward. Part of Project Diva's set up is that it has notes all over the screen instead of going in the same straight line to arrive in a specific spot like many arcade rhythm games do (this doesn't remove from their own difficulty though!) and taking advantage of what makes it a bit different is pretty cool.

17. AjidoMarujido

AjidoMarujido Newbie Player

You seem defensive, and you are not really understanding what I meant. I'm not criticizing the notes matching the song, and I have no problem with fast notes. The issue is that it's a rhythm game, and the entirety of the difficulty in this song has nothing to do with rhythm.

The notes match the song perfectly, I'm not criticizing that, but the issue is that you have to know the song to be able to hit all the tricks, this is a rhythm game, not a memory game. As a result, the song becomes stupidly easy by the 3rd or 4th attempt. It's just bad design, especially for a chart that they're trying to tote as 9 star difficulty.

Also, the speed of the notes is definitely an issue when used the way it is in this song. I have no issue with fast songs, but this song just randomly screws with the speed to ridiculous degrees. Yes the Diva songs are known for high speed charts, but don't kid yourself, this is completely different. Note speed has always matched the feeling or tempo of the songs. This song just throws in arbitrary hyper speed notes that no human being can react to in time, for absolutely no reason, except to try and trick you. Again, not a rhythm mechanic, but a memorization tactic.

I do like the song, don't get me wrong. I played it a million times trying to unlock all of the modules. Perfected it, cleared all of the challenges, etc... but it's just a terrible note chart. It's full of fake difficulty, and too easy for it's rating.

18. tojushiro

Teacher
    That's pretty much the problem, actually. Challenge items are used by choice. If I'm just going through free play looking for perfect ranks or score or fun or something, I don't want to play a chart that acts like I'm using challenge items when I'm not.

Although as a side note, despite my seething hatred for this chart, a very small part of me is happy that they put a single song like this in the game. Even if I'm never going to touch it again.

19. chibakuroki

chibakuroki Intermediate Player

A SECOND YEAR HIGHSCHOOLER - UGH
    Isn't a song like this needed in Project Diva games? I mean, sure I agree with most of you thinking that the chart is stupid but charts like these boost the game's replay value. We get challenged and in return it makes us pay more attention. :9

20. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I'm not, don't worry. I'm just attempting to counter-argue to say that I think is a great addition to the project diva franchise. I'll pipe down though. We could go back and fourth but either way, it seems like a one time occurrence.

Relating back to the main purpose of this thread though, am I the only one a little annoyed by how long the module change animation is? The one that appears when you hit the chance time star. I think it looks fantastic but after a while it gets really distracting, especially when I was attempting to see what new module (if any) I would get. One of the main reasons I ended up just buying all the modules with my leftover yen. Also, it's the main reason I shy away from using the main mode and instead use the sub, traditional mode.