1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Controller Too Loud - How to Fix

Discussion in 'Tutorial Area - By users for users!' started by Japes, May 24, 2013.

1. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

EDIT: Here is a video tutorial on "fixing" your controller.

Well my mini controller arrived today, and I was super excited to use it... only to find out that I absolutely suck with it because all I can hear are the button presses (and I don't know about you, but it COMPLETELY messes up my rhythm).

Anyway, I took it apart and modified it slightly so as to make it useful. The fix is quite easy and also easily reversible in case you don't like it, so if anyone is interested in seeing the fix I can make a "How To" guide. Please post below or send me a PM if you would like me to work on it. I would love to help people out, but there's no point in making the guide if nobody is interested.

Cheers! : )

2. Maakun

Maakun Intermediate Player

Technical Support Representative
    how hard do you hit the buttons? I don't hear a thing using it

3. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Maybe you use it differently. I did some research and found a number of people complaining about how loud the buttons were.

4. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    It's loud no matter how much pressure you put on the buttons. However I'm sure it'll soften a bit over time the more you use it. I'm always hesitant to alter a device even if it is only a minor tweak, yes you might get the desired result but in the long run what will it do to the lifespan of the controller because you took it apart? Eh, maybe it's a slight paranoia on my part due to the rarity and price of such a thing. Personally it would make me queasy seeing someone take the controller apart, however if you would like to post a guide, then by all means do so. I'm sure they'll be people that will appreciate the advice (^_^)

5. Maakun

Well if you are playing with the volume low of course you'll hear it, but I play with the volume a bit louder than normal and I can't hear it over the audio coming from my speakers.

6. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I edited the first post with my video on "fixing" the controller. It's extremely easy!

7. Maakun

Interesting watch Japes

To be honest though, I do play better with that controller on Extreme. Aside from passing a few songs I couldn't pass prior, I also got a few E's that were G's and S's.

8. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I'm generally able to get G's and E's with the controller now, but I can still only get perfects with the Dual Shock 3.

9. Maakun

so you're slowly warming up to it?

10. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Yes, but when I'm shooting for perfects I still opt for the Dualshock 3.

11. Ongaku_no_tenshi

Ongaku_no_tenshi Big Debut

Thanks. This is quite helpful. Now, if only I could find a solution to dampening the sound for the buttons on the HP3-939. Been looking around the net to see if anyone has come up with a solution for this, but no luck.

12. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Is the construction similar? I don't have one so I don't know, but could the same fix work similarly?

13. Ongaku_no_tenshi

Before (taken from one of my previous posts):
    [​IMG]

After the top buttons are removed:
    [​IMG]

It appears to almost have a similar construction in terms of how the top part of the button separates from the bottom well. I was thinking that a similar method to the one you displayed in your tutorial might work for this case, as well. But I was wrong. The white plastic surrounding the fixture in the center is what is actually making contact with the a base below it when pressed and that center piece, which houses the bulb that lights up the buttons, is completely stationary. When you have the top buttons back in place, the sound is somewhat amplified when the button is pressed. Curious to read you thoughts on this.

14. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    Nice tutorial! I should feature it on Facebook.

15. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I've been trying to think of a way to fix it, but without having the device in my hands, I've been coming up with nothing. Have you thought of anything since posting this?

16. Ongaku_no_tenshi

After some thought, I think that the solution you presented with the mini could possibly work after all. The sound of the white plastic wells that are actually making contact with the base could possibly be dampened a bit in a similar method you used for the mini. I think it could be effective, and at the same time, not hinder the normal operation of the buttons in any way. Soon, I plan on opening the back panel to see if the controller's internals will allow me to reach the space between the plastic well and the contact base. I'll let you know what I find out.

17. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Awesome! I've been thinking about taking mine apart again (I've taken it apart 3 or 4 times now) and picking up some felt pads or something. Since I've been happy with this fix thus far, I'd like to try doing something a little more permanent and perhaps even more dampening.

18. Ongaku_no_tenshi

Cool. If muse inspires you again, I look forward to any new updates to your tutorial.