1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameplay!

Discussion in 'General' started by Almeria, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I thought I'd make a topic about the gameplay of the PD games! It can be anything from question to advice to preferences or just discussions :)

Here's my story:
    Ever since I found out there was a forum about the game series I've always wondered about how others do to score higher.
    Any person who starts playing Project Diva uses the right hand for the buttons and only the left hand for arrows, correct? But as you get better and start playing songs on Extreme you quickly realise that some songs are too fast/have such difficult button combinations that one hand just isn't enough. After watching people on Youtube play I learned the trick of using both hands when one hand just isn't fast enough to press 3 or more buttons in quick succession.
    But before I learned to do that I did something I haven't seen anyone else do and I really want to know if I'm the only one; to be able to play on Extreme I divided up the buttons between my hands, using the right one to press circle and triangle, and the left one to press square and X. I wish I could film myself playing sometime since it might be confusing when I explain it.
    I'm currently trying to learn the technique of alternating between both hands during real spam-sequences, I usually fail if it's more than 3 buttons in a row. It's the reason I haven't managed to clear "The Disappearance of HM" on Extreme yet, but I'm working on it (last time I was 1 away from Standard >.<)

Long rant is long, but I've been dying to share my gameplay-technique and to know if I'm the only one who's done this or if I'm being silly and only complicate things for myself. I really want to be able to get 100% perfect one day in either PD2 or PD Extend. What would you advice me to do, knowing what technique I use?

I also want you to tell me how you do it, or simply discuss. What's your favourite song to play? Do you prefer fast or slow song? Which button is your favourite? (silly question, I know XD)

I also felt we needed more topics in the forum, and I like discussing things like these.

2. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    Everyone has a different strategy for how to play a game regardless of what it is, you do what's comfortable for you while you play. Now as far as 100% perfecting the PD games are concerned, well that's more of a time thing really, it will happen with patience. I recently saw that trick of using both the direction buttons along with the normal ones, I never thought to do that before. To be fair I didn't think it would work but sure enough I decided to test it with 初音ミクの激唱 on EXTREME *Obviously not the best idea when testing something new but I never said I was bright.* and I managed to get beyond the first segment of notes, now what I need to do is practice timing with that technique because I'm not used to syncing both my hands at the same time with the notes.

Sadly I have no knowledge to share with you that would advance your game-play other than headphones. I find that when I focus on nothing more than the music and flow with the rhythm of the song by isolating everything atmospheric out I tend to hit the notes better. Well at least if it's the first time playing a song that is.

3. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

Kind of an old thread but I'll respond anyway. I've always played using both hands but I don't have a designated hand for each button, I just use whichever feels right in the split second I have to decide. I'm left handed so I actually can't imagine using just my right hand, even for slower songs. It just doesn't feel right to me. I love songs that have three or more quick succession notes. Paradichlorobenzene and Disappearance of Hatsune Miku on Extreme are two of my favorites~! Fast songs always seem more fun to me. And I don't really have a favorite button, but I hate arrow buttons! I just can't mash arrow buttons at all. I'll probably never perfect Secret Police on Extreme because of it.

I've seen videos of people playing with the PSP/Vita on a table and I don't see how they are able to do that!

4. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    Ah, that seems nice. I've also started to use whichever hand is needed for the best flow but I still can't alternate properly between both hands for fast button sequences >.<

If it's any help, with arrows in PDf/F it's possible to hold one of the button down and only press the other one, it still counts as a double press ^^

5. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip, I'll try it :)

And alternating hands gets super easy when you finally learn how to do it properly so I'm sure you'll get it if you just keep trying!

6. Kyrika

Kyrika Advanced Player

I have problems with long strings of rapid notes because after about 5 or so of alternating back and forth, I keep ending up hitting them at the same time because the arrows have eaten part of my brain and make me do it >_>

7. Henry

Henry 私は安全な嫌い.

Student
    The Farthest End(JK). No, it's Singapore.
    It also happens to me. And moreover, when there's long stream (over 3 notes), I usually end up press both buttons or even rushed. Occured alot when I play SMF, World's End Dance Hall and Unhappy Refrain ;-;

As for scratch notes, I use 2 fingers instead of 1 usually. I learned it by myself since I started playing harder extreme songs. Of course, the downside: both fingers may end up flick the screen at the same time or off-timing.