1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

2019: THE END of PlayStation Handhelds

Discussion in 'General' started by Zac Wood, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Zac Wood

Zac Wood Staff/Fortune Teller/Lucky Guesser/Spam Buster
    Staff Member Moderator

Family buisness, a Family matter.
    #1 Zac Wood, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    https://www.businessinsider.com/no-more-playstation-handhelds-2018-9,

A report from Buisness Insider just came up regarding SONY’s discontinuation of PlayStation brand handhelds. I told you about the discontinueation of NA/EU physical PS Vita games, but now it seems like the hardware will be retired entirely with Nintendo being the still 30-year old giant of portable gaming. In addition to that Switch-like patent’s fate on the cutting room floor.

I can go on about it; but since I don’t own one; here’s what others had to say about it who actually played with it.

With Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA then, it’s the end of an era, especially with the series’ 10th anniversary on the horizon. While playing it on the PS3 via Dreamy Theatre may had brought prettier visuals, with each subsiquental release followed by a PS3-4 port along with more prettier eye candy and smoother frame rates is an insentive; but the japanese market has their taste towards handhelds due to the convienence with the ability to play, play anytime, anywhere. Future Tone in a way falls short in that regard, and the fact that the possible successor to Project DIVA X will either have to release on PS4/PS5 only without a respective handheld for the market, or (for the better in my opinion) consider the Nintendo Switch as a platform, either exclusively or not. (something that is very apparent for those who know me here)

Since this is not my deal; You people discuss it.

Tomyi likes this.
  2. Tomyi

Tomyi Newbie Player

Thank you for the interesting topic @Zac Wood . Niche-Products like music/rhythm-games are not as popular as other genres ...especially the handheld-versions...we can't change this...the market decides about success and failure...

3. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#3 Zac Wood, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    While true, Project DIVA’s weight is with it’s I.P., and I.P. has been recognized by a lot of mediums, and high-profile celeberties, and the dedication of the fans: David Letterman and his comparison with Willie Nelson’s bus, Lady Gaga and the ARTPOP ball, Pharrell Williams with his remix, and most recently; Scarlett Johanson (pre Ghost in the Shell) with LUV, there was the celebration of the Tokyo-Edo name change, the reenactment of the stage kabuki Senbonzakura, and a $40,000 crowdfunded, digital shrine in Korean subway; not to forget the mess that was the Domino’s, That is just scratching the surface of the popularity of Hatsune Miku as a character, and being what the game is centered around IS a big deal in Japan, and to people overseas like me (and possibly you too) who became fascinated.

The series history in sales have cited the portable games selling more than their console equivalents even though it’s overall sales as a series had been around 4 million units sold. Just take a look here:

www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/games.php?name=Hatsune+Miku&keyword=&console=&region=All&developer=Sega&publisher=&goty_year=&genre=&boxart=Both&banner=Both&ownership=Both&results=50&order=Sales&showtotalsales=0&showtotalsales=1&showpublisher=0&showpublisher=1&showvgchartzscore=0&showvgchartzscore=1&shownasales=0&showdeveloper=0&showcriticscore=0&showcriticscore=1&showpalsales=0&showreleasedate=0&showreleasedate=1&showuserscore=0&showuserscore=1&showjapansales=0&showlastupdate=0&showlastupdate=1&showothersales=0

Tomyi likes this.
  4. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    Well, of course all over the portable versions of the games have sold more. They sell the most in Japan to begin with, and Japan is all over the portable consoles, and not really into home consoles. Like, Japan was the only market where the Vita wasn't a complete flop. Of course that translates to games sold. I'm also pretty sure that the Vita versions didn't outsell the home console ones outside of Japan, seeing as hardly anyone owned a Vita outside Japan, comparatively.

Zac Wood likes this.
  5. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

Today (or for the last two days) is when people outside this small discussion pretty much talk about the PS Vita nearing it’s expected ‘discontinued’ status, or more specifically; the PS Vita website in Japan stating “近日出荷完了予定” or (via google translate) “scheduled completion coming soon” on the product page.

6. cartman_zero

cartman_zero Big Debut

human medicine student
    Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLx28e9BPgOOKW-dVA0QEog
    RIP ps vita :c