1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

IT'S HAPPENING: PDF coming to the West

Discussion in 'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA ƒ & Project DIVA F' started by Suyo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. chaoelite

chaoelite I'll make you do the MikuMiku!

I highly doubt that number too and am saying that because i hope they are having a more realistic figure they are looking for instead of SOJ going you did not buy as many copies as you liked so no more vocaloid for you! And as much of a pipe dream as hoping for arcade is elsewhere that will really depend on the sales from that and show of interest for it elsewhere and that figure of likes may make them greedy so who knows really. And as far as arcades being dead in the US that isn't really true they have always been pretty busy in malls with decent traffic. How much people come to ones really depends on the games offered as well if their are no good games then of course will be dead. I haven't been to an arcade in a mall in a decade or more because i have the greatness of a Dave and Buster's in my remote area for adult arcade goodness ^.^ and i could see niche titles getting decent play there but i only say that due to the games i have seen in there over the years.

2. OveReAction

OveReAction Global Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now that the localization is a sudden happening, the chance for Miku to appear in SEGA and All-Stars Racing Transformed might rack up by 30%!

3. dorothy3242

dorothy3242 Advanced Player

In other words, I think we should actively be that word of mouth.

4. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    In the digital world, one can be many yes?

5. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I know I will be spreading the word at my university. At our end of the year party for the Japanese culture club I brought my import copy of F along and everyone seemed to enjoy it, so I can see it picking up some popularity. If anyone else has a similar social situation, I encourage you to do the same. Showing people the game is the best way, I've found, to get people to like it!

6. Kaon

Kaon シュープリーム

This is quite a turn of events...

Personally not interested, however I may purchase the next PD game if it becomes localized... If it ever does. Otherwise I have to work hard this year to get another game.

7. XJes6

XJes6 Welcome to DIVA!

Oh my gawd!
    This is the greatest news i can ever get!
    Spread by word of mouth.
    Can easily be done with a thing called Social Media Sites

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is kinda where I'm at on this. It's something I'm not sure I WANT to get big over here (NA).

9. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

It's a double edged blade, while it opens the gate to a newer audience who will appreciate the Vocaloid world, it's accessible to those who make it shameful and leave the public's impression of what we like in a bad light. However this has been an existing issue with the Vocaloid world for a long time. Its up to people like us to make sure the community is highlighted in the best way possible and show that for those few that make it look bad, it's only that select crowd and not the majority of the community.

10. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    Whether or not Vocaloid gets bigger due to PDF localizing, we'll still have the "bad side" to our fandom. We aren't really different from other fandoms when it comes to the few who start shipping wars ("MEIKO only wants to steal KAITO away from Miku!"), get too stuck to one Vocaloid ("If it's not by Len, the song is bullsh** and the author should kill themselves"), and even when the haters go all out saying "It sounds like nails scratching down a chalkboard." We can't simply get rid of those kinds of people (cause they aren't entirely bad people) and they will grow if PDF makes it big, but the number of... sane, you may call it, people will also grow. As long as you and any other "sane" person is alive, we're still a good fandom.

Either way, if something extremely bad were to happen to the PD community, we really shouldn't care cause you can still enjoy the game by yourself in your living room. PD is all about fun (and getting that perfect on a song we all dream for) and it always will be. Tap your foot along to the beat of Weekender Girl and sing along to Summer Idol cause no matter what, the games don't care for what happens in the outside world.
    Now I'm getting a bit too cheesy... xD

11. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Right...but we can live by example, by showing the people around us not to focus so much on those people. Its not always easy to get people to understand something new or anything they are not used to, in fact quite a few people in the world are closed minded. However I've come to learn that not all of them are like that and there are others who are willing to understand all the sides to a story. I look forward to those kind of people rising alongside this new opportunity.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not that I'm afraid of people criticizing others/me for liking it (those people can just go their merry way), it's that once/if it gets so big, the "special" feeling of interest goes away; like over exposure. It's kinda hard to explain xD One of the charms of Vocaloids right now is that they're not amazingly well known anywhere but Japan. It makes me feel cool, like I know about something secretly amazing. I guess, in a way, it seems like if they became all super popular, no one's going to know you're one of the people who "knew about it before it was cool". You'd just be grouped in with all the "newbie fans who want to be in on cool Japan things because everyone else is". I know it sounds kinda odd and maybe selfish, but I hope you get my drift at least. It's 6 am right now and my thought process isn't the best. Maybe could have been worded better. (I was up trying to kill the last boss in FFIX before the concert tomorrow and lost don't judge me).

Though, honestly, somehow I don't seeing it going too big over here. NA teens/young adults are too self conscious. They care too much about being "cool" and not "fitting in" because of liking something (at least from my experience through high school). I don't really see them picking up a random Japanese rhythm game and spreading the word. Anime fans, sure, but your average teenager? Probably not. Plus a lot of Vocaloid songs are for a more mature listener, so I don't really think younger kids would be spreading it around either. So it would really be up to the anime fans to make most of the sales. I'm pretty freakishly into Vocaloid, though, so I believe I'll be alright no matter the outcome :o

Mind's drifting, so I'm off to bed, but I do wanna leave this here for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's hilarious and does kinda give us an idea of what spreading Miku around would be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhluDhVtjU

Be sure to watch the kids also. I just think this one is funnier.

13. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

I wouldn't worry about it. How'd that Facebook campaign go again? 15000 likes and 10000 shares in the first 24 hours or something? The Vocaloid community is pretty tightly knit. I guarantee you that all interested parties probably know by now that it's officially coming out, or they will within the day.

Yeah, really. I like Edit Mode, but it's way too complex if you can't read all of the menus. I could barely read enough to put a few notes in and get the trophy in PDf, then I was done with it. I'd love to explore it more when it's more accessible to me.

14. xtokashx

xtokashx Legendary Supporter
    Legendary Supporter

Home Page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xtokashx
    I know for a fact that the entire game UI has been translated. I just don't know if lyrics are included in that or if all the content will be included or if some functionality will be disabled such as uploading content to a NA cloud server.

I too purchased a couple copies of the game and I will definitely purchase this one. Like many people here, having the edit functionality in English is the biggest selling point for me and is long over due.

Are we gonna have another edit contest after this release? XD

15. Rainbow

Rainbow Intermediate Player

I hope there's an option for romaji or English in the lyrics. This would finally give us some official translations.

I wonder how they'll handle the title...I'd assume they'll use a font similar to the originally for Miku's name, but I honestly hope they arrange the names in western order so newcomers don't call them "Hatsune" or "Megurine". It's still technically right, but I just don't want people to think that's their first names.

16. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I believe the screenshots that have been released have shown romaji subtitles in gameplay.

As far as names, Hatsune would actually be the more polite name to use, so I'm not sure if it's actually a big deal (although the confusion could cause some problems, as you say).

17. Tomyi

Tomyi Newbie Player

Fantastic news !!! I will buy it...

18. Toadsili_T

Toadsili_T Newbie Player

Fantastic news for the Western Vocaloid community, without a doubt! I envision SEGA believes that there is a much stronger community presence in NA compared to the rest of the world, going by the digital only release in Europe/PAL. Alas, at least it will be available for those that really want to support it and haven't been able to, so big props to SEGA for taking the plunge and giving the fans this opportunity.

I don't really see how other people's perceptions of your interest should have any bearing on how you act or feel about it. Granted, there are cases where it's better to keep things to yourself rather than throw things out into the open, but at the end of the day, it's your life. Living in the shadows of other peoples' demands and expectations is merely a recipe for disaster.

19. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Well the core problem is not so much our personal own feelings as much as it is the public's perception. You see, most of the time it's the negative view that is showcased by that small amount of people and that can often leave the public with a bad impression of who we are. Basically, the way those people act can tend to lead the public to think that everyone who likes Vocaloid are all like that. What I'm saying is that it's our responsibility as a the real community to show them that we're not all like that. I'm not saying it's our job to make people like Vocaloid but to help them understand why we like it and that there are far more normal people who are part of the community. In general it's in our human nature to be unaccepting of change and fear the unknown, so its just easier to shun something instead of seeking an understanding.

20. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

This.

I'm not too terribly worried about it, however. If the localization works out then great, we'll get future games localized (most likely anyway). If not, I don't really have any problems going back to importing (it's worked for me so far).