1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Chart Subtitles or Localized Dubs

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Darksidehearts, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    *This is not meant to start a war as it usually tends to, I'm on a peaceful ground here and am only asking for your personal opinion on what you like.*

I'm always a bit curious about how people view their anime and what they like. So how do you like your anime?

Personally I like to watch something with it's original language and subtitles.

2. Kyrika

Kyrika Advanced Player

I'm with you. While some dubs are good and others are bad, I always prefer to hear it in it's original language because it syncs up better and they tend to get the emotion across better.

3. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    Original, definitely. Dubs are almost always terrible in comparison. It's only allowed for the nostalgic factor like some old Disney-movies (they're actually really good in Swedish ^^)

4. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    Well I usually watch them in japanese with subtitles, the most dubs are some kind of unfitting... however there are exceptions: The english dub of Lucky Star is pretty good or the german dub of Chobits.

5. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

Either way. I'm not picky except for certain series. Like, I would never watch a Fate anime dubbed because I'm used to the JP voices from the visual novel.

6. elPresidente

elPresidente Big Debut

I always love to watch german dubs because most of them (especially old ones) make me laugh my soul out at cause of their "shittyness" xD (sry for this expression, could not think of another one that would be fitting)
    If available I watch them with english dubs, because I think the nowadays dubs I watched till now share a high quality in their translation which makes them enjoyable :)
    If not available, I then prefer to watch them with eng subs, not only because they are released before the german ones, but also, in my opinion, they are "better to read", that is, because the ones I watched in comparison to the other language's sub, the english sub used better expressions than the german one ;)

7. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I used to be fairly split between subs and dubs, but now that I've seen the sheer amount of anime that I have seen, I definitely prefer subs at least 95% of the time. The only dub I can think of off-hand that even compares to the original is Haibane Renmei. This is all my opinion, however, as I have quite a number of friends who prefer dubs. I think there are valid arguments to be made for each side, but I am a fast reader, so reading subtitles is not a big deal for me.

8. ChenMW

ChenMW Newbie Player

hmm anime is usually japanese voices with english subtitles, its fine as long as I can understand what they're saying [translated]

9. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

It depends on the show, but I watch both if I can. I usually watch subs first then if a dub comes out and I like the show I'll watch it in English to satisfy my curiosity. I don't have a preference unless the dub is really bad.

10. AJourneyIntoSound

AJourneyIntoSound Big Debut

Student, Musician
    I prefer subs because, like others have mentioned some dubs don't match the character's personalities and expressions. Another reason being is I like to hear how the creators intended the characters to sound as opposed to listening to, say for instance an american doing the voice of a Japanese character :P But I do get a lot of "I'm too lazy to read the subtitles..." from a couple of my friends who enjoy dubs more. To each their own I suppose :)

11. dorothy3242

dorothy3242 Advanced Player

I pretty much prefer subs since I'm used to them at this point and despise the majority of dubs. If it's good I'll try my best to watch it though. Most of my friends prefer dubs for various reasons though, one giving her reason as missing information when looking down at her snack to eat it for a moment and such.
    If I watch the dub first though I will probably tend to prefer it, but since most of the time I just follow airing anime that hardly ever happens.
    Besides that the only dub I prefer would have to be Death Note the voices make it much more entertaining for me.
    Then I have a special case of Princess Tutu where I love both versions equally because they are both perfect!

12. TJD_DANCER

TJD_DANCER Mahou Shoujo

College Student
    I think subtitles are better than dubs. The only anime I watch dubbed is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.