1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Project diva homemade controllers

Discussion in 'Tutorial Area - By users for users!' started by nofutur, Jul 20, 2016.

1. steelpuxnastik

steelpuxnastik SHINSANWASWITCH is ready and working!

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    https://www.instagram.com/jandevalua/
    #401 steelpuxnastik, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    You can buy any Arduino Nano or Arduino Micro (if you have usb-ttl converter to flash it, because it has no USB) on aliexpress or somewhere locally, because it's not a limited product and can be found anywhere. But if you want - that's the one that I bought sometime ago, https://a.aliexpress.com/_9J1NJj , the only difference that I bought it year ago for $2$, but now it costs 4$ because all ICs now become more expensive, but you can find other.

And may be you understood what I said above about buttons, because I do not know how it work on PS4, never played it, as I understand it uses not only L1/R1 but may be L2/R2 for <- -> and -><- slider moves, so you'll need to describe all that moves in program and connect all pins to all buttons that will be used.
    In test program you can write something very simple that will automatically pull up and pull down some pins as you need or connect buttons that you use now to arduino and write same program, something like "if L1 button pressed - pull down pin that connected to L1" and you can test and understand does it work right and does it responds as quick as you need.

kirei39 likes this.
  2. kirei39

kirei39 Welcome to DIVA!

Thank you for all the help, so to recap I need to get the nano mini USB board and connect the usb cable it comes with the the brook fighting board? then wire up the touch sensor to that nano board and connect it to my computer, download Arduino software and watch some tutorials on how to code with it? This code will then transfer to my PS4? One more question, how does the USB cable from the micro controller connect to the brook ps4 fighting board? I don't really see a port the usb cable can plug into

steelpuxnastik likes this.
  3. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    Not exactly. USB here is only easier way to flash (program) microcontroller on the board and that's all, in other cases it needs only for powering device, but even then it's not necessary, because it has separate pins to power-up board. So that is why I write above about other arduino without USB (arduino micro) if you'll find it, may be it will be a little bit cheaper, but you need USB-TTL converter or USBASP programmer to flash it.

I do not know about brook cable, may be if it use mini-usb cable too - you can use it to flash arduino, but then, after that, it will be a separated device that only will use brook power (+5V, if it possible to take it from there - you can use it, because it will be much convenient to use) and will operate with slider and will be connected to some button pins of brook.

Yes, may be, you even can find something already done examples that doing something same or exactly same what you need, I just didn't study situation with adafrout touch component, so can you search something about it.

No, nothing will be transfered to PS4, but only to arduino.

I not really understand this question, if you can show your brook fighting board - may be I'll understand. But to say simply, as I understand, you connecting brook over USB to PS4 with USB type B/mini-B/micro-B or something and you can use this cable (if it use same type of connector) to flash arduino, and then, after that you can power up arduino without USB just with Vin/GND (7-12v input) or 5V/GND (stable 5v input), because it will be standalone device that will work by itself and output pins of arduino will be connected to your brook. May be that's all.

kirei39 likes this.
  4. kirei39

kirei39 Welcome to DIVA!

I tried to send a picture of my board and it won't send, do you have discord by any chance so I can send you a picture of the board and touch sensor?

5. gbafamily

gbafamily Newbie Player

I ordered an Ipega Mini Mega39 controller from Amazon Japan and ship to US. The cost including international shipping is about USD $88. Cheaper than buying from Ebay. Well, I hope so. This is my first order from Amazon Japan. If this works out, I found a new place to waste time and $$$.

I saw it reviewed on youtube.

6. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    woooooow, are you lucky man :PPP

7. gbafamily

gbafamily Newbie Player

MPR121 cap touch boards can be purchased from Amazon for around $5-$6 for 3. Same chip is used on the Adafruit boards, I think, but much cheaper. The boards appear to clones of a SparkFun board. I was thinking about making a slide until I saw the Ipega mini.

8. kirei39

kirei39 Welcome to DIVA!

we seem to have figured out my question on Discord, thank you everyone for the advice It means alot.

9. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    If someone will be interested, I verified this theory and it works, with arduino at least, but with brook in 99,9% will work too :)

10. gbafamily

gbafamily Newbie Player

11. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    Oh yes, that will totally help @kirei39 , because it's what he need. The only doubt that in that project used 4 MPR121 and 48 segments, I think that A LOT, and I have no experience in MPR121, so do not know how to properly edit that sketch, but I'll try, I think 3 MPR121 and 36 segments will be much easier to make and use :)

12. gbafamily

gbafamily Newbie Player

I agree 36 touch sensors should be enough since the arcade slide has only 32.

13. AmeKinoko

AmeKinoko Welcome to DIVA!

Hi, I made an account just to post to this thread! Sorry for the long post to follow, but I really need advice on this...

I'm planning to follow Tomtortoise's tutorial, but I have some concerns about the slides. He wires every other right-arrow to R1 and the rest to the R-Trigger, and the same thing for the left side (Technically, they get wired to 3p/3k 4p/4k respectively but those are just the bumpers and triggers on the Brook board apparently).
    Now, I assume that his copy of Future Tone must have R1 and R-Trigger both mapped to -> slide (and again, the same on the left side) I've read that bumper/trigger slides aren't... assigned a side of the controller, if that makes sense? Like, <- -> and -> <- double slides can both be accomplished by pressing L1 + R1.

But, I'm not playing PS4 Future Tone. I'm playing the dump of the arcade game + Divaloader (shhh). For slides, DivaLoader's keybinding has Right-stick-right, Right-stick-left, Left-stick-right, and Left-stick-left. No problem with the joysticks on my DS4, but mapping them to bumpers/triggers to see how this custom controller would (theoretically) work is another matter:
    1. Mapping both Right-slides to R1 and both Left-slides to L1 means that <- <- and -> -> slides can be accomplished with a single button press, but <- -> and -> <- slides are ALWAYS "Wrong".
    2. Mapping Right-right to R1, Left-right to R-trigger, Left-left to L1, and Right-left to L-trigger seems to work alright. <- <- slides are accomplished by pushing L1 + L-trigger and vice versa for the right. But, to get <- -> slides, it MUST be R1 + L1. Similarly, -> <- slides MUST be done by pressing both triggers.
    So, I'm worried that if I follow Tomtortoise's tutorial to the letter, I'll have a controller that won't allow me to input opposite-direction double slides if I just swipe the rows of triangle buttons like he does in his demonstration videos, because it might read me as having pressed Right-right (R1) when I needed Left-right (R-Trigger).

My current plan is to download a trial of CorelCAD or something and alter the placement and number of triangle buttons on the laser cutter template so I can do this sort of four button layout: <- -> <- -> (Left-left, left-right, right-left, right-right).
    Is that the smartest thing to do? Or is there something about the keybindings that I'm missing?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! Sorry again for the longpost!

14. migra100

migra100 Big Debut

for the arcade dump you can make a real serial slider or emulate the sticks with gesture detection but the second one is pointless on a pc. to make a slider you need 5cm copper tape, arduino compatibile board and 3 mpr121's. alternatively you could use buttons like in the controller you linked with slight modifications to the arduino program. there is also https://github.com/Project-Alpaca/LKP but as far as i know you can't get the chip for it and it could be hard to build for a novice. do you want an actual slider or buttons that simulate certain movements? do you want a button that for example sends <- <- to your game or do you want to swipe left with both of your hands?

15. AmeKinoko

This is my first of this type of project, so I don't think I'll attempt an actual slider ( ; o _ o) it seems pretty difficult. I think I'm just going to arrange the buttons so I have four triangles, two left and two right. That way every type of slide is accommodated for. If there's no way for me to stop the game from differentiating between left-side left slides and right-side left slides (and vice versa), I think a four button set up will be the smartest way for me to do it.

16. migra100

migra100 Big Debut

i never tried to build it that way but i think 4 buttons are not enough, you should go with 6
    >
    > >
    > <
    <
    < <
    < >

17. AmeKinoko

With the keybinds I'm thinking of, four should be enough-- to get -> ->, you press the two left-arrow buttons and to get <- <- you press the two right arrow buttons. I can map the slides I have to four buttons on my dualshock and it works just fine like that. I can't upload images for some reason, but this is the section in the .ini file for changing keybinds:

# Touch Slider:
    LEFT_SIDE_SLIDE_LEFT = Q, Ds4_L_Stick_Left, XINPUT_LLEFT
    LEFT_SIDE_SLIDE_RIGHT = E, Ds4_L_Stick_Right, XINPUT_LRIGHT
    RIGHT_SIDE_SLIDE_LEFT = U, Ds4_R_Stick_Left, XINPUT_RLEFT
    RIGHT_SIDE_SLIDE_RIGHT = O, Ds4_R_Stick_Right, XINPUT_RRIGHT

Each button will be mapped to one of these options.

18. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    As I know, on PS4 it can be configured something like this. That is why that configuration with simple "pressing" buttons can work. But THIS picture looks somelike strange, so I do not know for sure, because played PDFT demo on PS4 in 2017 when I knew nothing about slider or something like that, so I couldn't pay attention on it correctly.
    [​IMG]

19. gbafamily

gbafamily Newbie Player

The last 3 MPR121 boards I purchased from Amazon are not clones of the SparkFun board. The boards I purchased in December are. So be warned. I should have purchase Adafruit boards.

20. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    Is there big difference?