1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch (irrelevent)

Discussion in 'General' started by Zacattack99, Jan 7, 2018.

?

What impresses you?

1. Multiplayer

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Simple and Classic Gameplay styles

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. amiibo and DIVA room.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. The idea of Nintendo-themed Content.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. The other stuff

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. The times today.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zacattack99

Zacattack99 Welcome to DIVA!

#1 Zacattack99, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    In case you didn’t get the recent press releases, Nintendo Switch has sold 10 million units and in 10 months time. I think it’s time for mainstream Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA to hit the Nintendo Switch. I should of posted this months ago, but piecing it in such a matter was strenuous.
    It will feel right at home for numerous reasons, and why the possibility is there:

SONY has no plans to create a successor to PlayStation Vita, or plans to create a competing system similar to Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo Switch has sold 10 million units with in 10 months, easily became North America’s fastest selling console of all time, and today, just outselling Wii U’s lifetime in Japan.

Original Project DIVA series games had started to fall short sales-wise in the west. I am looking at you, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X.

SEGA [& SEGA feat. Hatsune Miku] had tried to hybridize the series’ games for years, leading to developing the same game for radically different hardware. This lead to potential lost profits and lengthy delays. (Project DIVA X again people...) Look at the Nintendo Switch and it’s the answer to those problems.

Hatsune Miku, as a brand lacks the recognition of other Pop-Culture Icons. (Remember the Olympics and Shinzo Abe?)

If the elaborate dialog I mentioned before was a headache enough, to tell you the truth, I’d fully conceived a full main series game in my head since September 2015. I was and still to this day, carefully elaborating on what can be done, what they [SEGA & SEGA feat. Hatsune Miku Project] did, and how I could do better.

My vision is called Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Zero. A game that takes advantage of the Nintendo Switch console the same way earlier games in the series took advantage of the PlayStation hardware. It will feel right at home on the Nintendo Switch and do well.
    Sure, it’s funny the way I say it. But this is why I think it’s more realistic and interesting then say, the forums’ yearly April Fool’s day prank [bcolor=#000000](if so I want credit if it was this year’s joke.)[/bcolor]:

The main attraction, Multiplayer

2 different play styles: Classic and Simple.

Classic, being the style we are all accustomed to, and what the series is about. Using the A,B,X,Y,L,R,ZL,ZR, & Directional buttons, complimented by the [bcolor=#000000]Len and Rin[/bcolor] left and right control sticks. Reintroducing Rush, Star, and Project Mirai’s Rainbow targets. This, and introducing null notes and notes that ustilize tilt and HD Rumble elements. This is a style better suited for either a Joy-Con Grip, a Nintendo Switch in Handheld mode, or a Pro Controller.

Simple strips it to the basics of 4 buttons, a control stick, the SL and SR buttons, and the aforementioned Tilt and HD rumble elements. As expected, you can use a single Joy-Con and play head to head multiplayer competition using one Nintendo Switch system.

The return of Module Drop, and Shop
    Module Drop this time working as a way to get Modules not tied to any music, in complementary to the shop.

DIVA Room is more robust!
    Rather than being a mode, it would become its own separate, fleshed-out, stand alone game. How it connects to the main game is through amiibo, Nintendo’s popular NFC-enabled figurines. Miku, Rin, Len, Luka, MEIKO, and KAITO each get their own.
    Each character will have unique reactions and animations.

Most gifts are callbacks to early Nintendo-made toys like the N&B Block, Ultra Hand, Ultra Scope, Ele-Conga, Love Tester, and Rabbit Coaster being examples. Also Items from Super Mario, and more will appear.

Used in-game as a vocal, if used right with their feelings and preferences in DIVA Room, they can add a score multiplier to your score and catch you some special items for both games.

A user’s Mii will play a important role alongside being used as a stand in for generic background characters in videos in the main game.

Nintendo Star Power!
    Songs, Modules, Accessories, etc. themed after Nintendo I.P. like Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Splatoon, Arms, and many more!

A reinvented HUD

1080p/720p @ 60fps.

Songs: ???

That’s my vision, again 3 years of conception lead to that. I also had the elaboration for VOCALOID software for Nintendo Switch, due to KORG. I also had the idea of a Crossover with a universally recognized, and established gaming franchise.

You have any ideas of your own?, Questions? Impressions? Let Me know what you think if Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA on Nintendo Switch was a reality, that, or sending them the message.

Links:

http://blog.beforemario.com/?m=1

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-switch-sells-10-million-worldwide
    https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...test-selling-home-video-game-system-in-the-us
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...playstation-boss-sees-limited-handheld-market
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsune_Miku:_Project_DIVA_X (I helped edit that one.)
    https://gonintendo.com/stories/185307-iwata-asks-hatsune-miku-project-mirai-summary (Why the standard look can still be pulled off on a Nintendo platform.)

2. Doctopus

Doctopus Project Alpaca "BDFL"

#2 Doctopus, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Some random comments:

Nintendo Switch uses similar button layout as the Nintendo 3DS series, which is, IMO, pretty awkward for music games (espeacially if you want to stream long sixteenths in harder songs, which is crucial in a lot of music games).

Again, the button layout makes it really hard to switch between analog sticks and buttons. Instead of moving both thumbs up or down, you need to move the thumbs at opposite direction to hit the analog sticks/buttons, which may become to an unnecessary overhead if you are doing harder difficulties.

This should be an optional element, because motion control is usually not as precise as simple button/analog stick operations. Also implementing detection algorithms for such control is generally harder than simple button presses (you need to consider the detection threshold, reducing noise, etc.) and may easily produce unexpected results (refer to the scratch notes in project diva f). (Although SEGA did a really good job on making the sliders in FT motion control compatible, which surprisingly doesn't suck, and I sometimes prefer it over the analog sticks because it gives me a "third hand" to do the sliders)

This basically create 2 different play styles, one likes the later project diva/mirai games, the other likes the original project diva 1 on the PSP, which you only have 4 buttons to press and it greatly limits the complexity of maps and makes the gameplay really weird (you can only have eighths in the map for quicker songs and the eighths cannot be too long either, otherwise your right hand will get tired really quick, makes the game exceptionally hard/unplayable).

LGTM. Relying module aquisitions solely on module drop is one of the worst changes in Project Diva X IMO.

OK. Just don't focus on it too much so the other mode becomes less polished.

Lots of games did this already and was one of my expectations for Project Mirai.

Music games in 30fps sucks (literally)

PS: Don't forget the edit mode :)

3. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    Honestly, I couldn't care less about the Switch, but if we actually get a new Project Diva game, I would have absolutely nothing against it being also available on the Switch, additionally to PS4.

Honestly though, having a PJD title on the Switch would up the amount of games it has that I'd actually play, and don't already have on another system from like 3 to like 4. Same way that Mirai upped the amunt of games I'd pklay on a 3DS from 3 to 4... So yeah, again, I couldn't care less about Nintendo's consoles...

4. Zac Wood

Zac Wood Staff/Fortune Teller/Lucky Guesser/Spam Buster
    Staff Member Moderator

Family buisness, a Family matter.
    I thought I’d draw a picture, or a few, I don’t know...

Attached Files:

5. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

It’s impressive that nobody is talking about this...

Am I the only one? Am I the only Black Sheep that thinks about this? Is the denial a result of that infamous subject, “platform elitism”?

As of this post, the Switch has been confirmed to have sold 14.86 million units. That not only eclipses lifetime Wii U sales, but also nearing the lifetime sales of the PlayStation Vita rather sharply. That alone should of caused alot of buzz.

I know Hatsune Miku VR on Steam is a big deal to many, but it will only appeal to that niche market. It will not only get burried by other games, but will loose it’s edge thanks to a unseen and minor decline in VR. What I came up with is essentially a mass-market Hatsune Miku experience, something that needs to stop resting on it’s PlayStation-Exclusive laurels.

The way I see it, I can market Miku the character better than what CFM is doing right now. Nintendo and SEGA both are that golden ticket to achieve what I call a combonation “Super Smash Bros. Theory”, with a hit game in Japan people can play in short bursts featuring a celeberty, and pair said celeberty with a internationally recognized property like Super Mario, or Sonic The Hedgehog.

When Tokyo 2020 rolls around without a appearence from Miku, then that’s concern right there...

6. speedySonic7850

speedySonic7850 Welcome to DIVA!

I don't know about this.

Not sure what you mean about null notes, but motion slides would definitely be a problem for high-level play. It's just not very precise, and when you're going for all cools, it's a problem when your inputs aren't reading perfectly. You'd need a large input window like the slides in FT for that to work properly.

I also don't think you need both Module Drops and a Module Shop. A Module Shop should be enough, creating an incentive to play the game more to get more VP like in F/F2nd.

Don't really like the idea of so many Nintendo references in a DIVA game either. It's a SEGA game first and foremost, and there aren't even a lot of SEGA references. Plus, Nintendo content, motion controls and the addition of basically every feature from F, X and Mirai all in one game just makes the whole thing seem gimmicky, and a gimmicky game won't put Miku in the spotlight like you want this game to. Plus, Vocaloid amiibo aren't happening, period.

Other things...Four buttons and a control stick won't work for extreme levels, having gifts serve as a score multiplier is bad for leaderboards/score sharing and the fact that you don't have even one Miku song in mind is bad, considering this is a rhythm game first and foremost.

I'd like a Switch DIVA game (even though we'd probably all have to buy extra Joycons if the game is as fast as FT), but this really isn't the way to go IMO, especially if its supposed to put Miku in the spotlight.

The multiplayer idea is really cool, though. Always wondered how playing DIVA head-to-head on the same screen at the same time would work.

You're on the right track to making a good DIVA game though. You should pitch something to SEGA and see if they pick it up.

7. Doctopus

#7 Doctopus, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Like mines in Stepmania and damage notes in Chunithm (where you avoid them instead of tap on them)?

PS: Sega pls port Chunithm to Switch. This is the only console that can handle all the note types and it will also make the game successful internationally :D (jk

8. speedySonic7850

Oh. I see. Never played either of those, but that sounds horrible and disorienting. Glad DIVA doesn't have those :P

9. Doctopus

They are usually used to fill the gaps between notes so it forces the player to use more precised control (e.g. more careful delayed release if there are no end checks on hold type notes, precise timing, etc.) instead of "fake notes" (I know some console versions of Taiko no Tatsujin did this in story mode maps, where they replaced several notes randomly with bomb notes)

10. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#10 Zac Wood, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    I wanted this game to be feature-packed, but I see all of you are confused. Here’s to clairify and have a better understanding for my weird design choices.​

As stranious as SIMPLE gameplay is on paper with it’s 4 buttons and an analog stick, I invisioned it sort of the same way with Project Mirai DX did simularly with Touch controls, it takes a little ajustment for that said style, and if not, a little bit if practice of the player. Again, it’s all to make it easier to host multiplayer through one Switch system.

Those null notes were an idea I thrown out there, to trick the player into hitting certain inputs, but end up paying as a result. The motion control-related notes could work in the same vein of the Slide notes from Future Tone, but all it is is a shake for rumble related notes, using HD Rumble and feeling the controller for a note’s impact. You already get the picture hopefully.

There’s also the reason why Module Drop is in there in addition to a shop: Imagine you can’t afford enough points for THAT ONE module, and somehow, while in one of those sequences you end up winning it. To me from my time playing Fire Emblem Heroes and how the mechanic worked in Project DIVA X, it’s that very element of surprise. (If somehow you obtain a module you have already, you can trade it in for it’s worth in VP.)

The whole Nintendo-themed content and references thing is an extension of the science of the Sonic Style Module. But added with Nintendo’s catalogue of recognizable characters that had exceeded Miku’s public recognition beyond their expected senoirity. When you think about it, think Captain Falcon in Smash Bros. & why people are dying for a new F-ZERO game...

If the game reaches the scope of Future Tone, and DIVA room isn’t part of the full package, then it could be it’s own software. The looming question about this was “How can these two games interact with one another in such a way?” Then that’s where amiibo came from as a result. The whole Nintendo refference thing extends here, where it can lead to more interesting ideas for in-game gifts and interactions, in case of a lack there of. Besides, Nintendo’s and ( even SEGA’s!) history in toys goes criminally under-appreciated. (PODS, Thousand Drum Barrel, N&B Block, Nintendo Labo anyone?)

EDIT Mode I am afraid, will not be possible, It would take valuable resources for the game data-wise, and there’s no way to insert songs outside the game even with the Switch and it’s use MicroSD cards. If Piapro and CFM creates special services and software on their part, this wouldn’t be an issue, but sorry.

Music is the point of any rhythm game, why I didn’t list one song in particular is down to how songs are implimented in the series’ games. It’s not just fan service, but also comes down to Artists submitting their work through Piapro and it being cherry-picked amongst so many. “Dem’s the brakes man...”

11. speedySonic7850

...Yeah, so...I'm just gonna follow along with each paragraph from your last post and add my comments.

I don't know why you would change the controls for single joycon. You're using a similar controller, but the controls are completely different. How are casual players supposed to play the game with a confusing control scheme? I understand why you want to use all of the Switch's features, but you can still do multiplayer with two Joycon grips.

However, the slide notes have the opposite problem. Motion controls aren't that precise, and while casual players won't notice a thing, it will be hard for competitive players going for all cools and a high score to reliably play the game. Have you ever tried to play Splatoon 2 in a car? You should know it's basically impossible unless you're playing without motion controls for some reason.

The null notes aren't a problem. That actually is a new idea to add to the Project DIVA series. I just don't like them from personal preference.

Your Module Drop argument is pretty shallow too. If someone wants a module, and they don't have enough points for the module, then they should play enough to get points for the module. Why would you complicate things (and disrupt the PV in the background) further? And then the trading from modules to VP...no. That just adds more complexity to a system that worked before. Not to mention how the many veteran DIVA players will have to adapt to such a system.

Okay, again, this is a SEGA-developed game, right? So why are SEGA references taking a backseat to Nintendo references? Why are we getting a Captain Falcon costume before a Billy Hatcher, NiGHTS, or Jet Set Radio costume? And if you want to use this game to get Miku in the public eye, why are you relying on another property entirely to boost her popularity? If Miku or Vocaloid should see a rise in popularity, it should be by their won merit, not because she's standing next to Mario on a piece of artwork. This seems like another Puyo Puyo Tetris situation, While that did get some people interested in Puyo, most casual players ignore Puyo completely and just play for Tetris. Then they complain that the game isn't worth $40 due to a "lack of content". We really don't need a fiasco like that with Miku.

This is the worst part right here, though. Why is the DIVA Room extra software? Are you really supporting the business practice of making a collection, then putting one game on a cartridge and adding another as a download code? Because you KNOW SEGA won't pay for the larger cartridge to fit both games on it. And again with the amiibo. Just let it go. (Also, you misspelled reference.)

Edit Mode is an okay loss if there's enough songs in the base game. (As an aside to FT players: why do we have over 200 songs and you still want an edit mode? :P)

And...dude. Just name at least one song.

It's clear that you want to make an extravagant game to help boost Miku's popularity in the public eye and get more people into Vocaloid and DIVA. But this is just a smorgasbord of features that don't mix, creating a game that looks like it overdosed on gimmicks. And honestly, there are better and WAY easier ways to teach people about Vocaloid besides video games.​

12. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#12 Zac Wood, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Before I start drawing out my current ideas, I figure I unveil my earliest concepts, these ones are as early as January 2016. Rough as it is, you gotta give me some credit for the effort back in those days...

It’s really hard inserting images in these fourms...

13. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

14. speedySonic7850

So you've never played a PlayStation DIVA game, because you're Nintendo only (and you're complaining about the DIVA series staying on PlayStation, where it has an established market, yet you're trying to pitch an exclusive DIVA Switch game)?

Yeah I'm done. You're not listening to any of my criticisms anyway.

WWEdeadman likes this.
  15. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

I still have more to show off, so I would stay tuned if I were you...

I’m more focused on the Japanese market more than my desires or the niche market, and Switch is ludicrously out classing everything sales-wise over there. It’s amazing how trends and ambitions change within 2 years... I may had only played Project Mirai DX, but never say I did my homework. You said it yourself I was on track on making a good game.

16. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

Besides from that, Sometimes the best experiences come from outside infliences (Like Nintendo and a minority of it’s staff not being gamers.)

17. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#17 Zac Wood, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Keeping my promise, I now present my ideas from Mid-2016. When my ideas went by these working titles:

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA E (Wii U/NX) (When Switch was becoming a possibility.)

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone E (Arcade) (when I was looking into the possability of amiibo in Arcades.)

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai: Colorful Sound AM/FM (AM: Arcade/FM: Nintendo Switch) (Confusion and playing with Future Tone’s name and a AM/FM pun

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai AM/FM (AM: Arcade/FM: Nintendo Switch) (cutting Colorful Sound entirely.)

Hatsune Miku Colorful Sound (Nintendo Switch) (ommiting a “Project” name and making something new. And as a result of non-fans calling the Project DIVA series the “Hatsune Miku” series...)

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Zero AM/FM (AM: Arcade/FM: Nintendo Switch) (The last instance of the idea of an Arcade release.)

I will add captions to that early bunch of pics.

[​IMG]
    A early UI Sketch, There was a grid option at some point.

[​IMG]
    A logo draft from a plannEd arcadE gamE from Early on. As you can sEE, I was vEry sErious about thE lEtter E.

[​IMG]
    An idea about implimenting the gameplay onto the UI, As a response to GameXpain’s Ash Paulson’s review on Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F2nd and the idea of dimming videos to making gameplay more easier to see. The text is also in Google-translated Japanese. (Sorry to all those who speak Japanese!) (Besides, It would make a nice QOL improvement for newer players...)

[​IMG]
    Some unfinished, and equally low-quality Japanese dialog. Regarding the HUD/gameplay idea.

[​IMG]
    More to explain the working title; “Hatsune Miku: Colorful Sound” it also feature’s an quote from Shigesato Itoi regarding name how the N64 went from Nintendo Ultra 64/Ultra Famicom to the simple “Nintendo 64” name.

[​IMG]
    Reinventing The Project DIVA logo. (Sort Of...)

[​IMG]
    Coming up with new icons, as you can see, I wasn’t just going to leave it at X, O Triangle and Square and call it good, I had to go to that crazy extreme.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I came up with crazy ways to expand upon controls, Having the game be controlled by a phone (alá Just Dance) and even the Wii Remote. Even the Wii Remote plus Nunchuk. (Not pictured.) Thus my motion-control visions...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All this speaks for itself... (when the Switch was 1st announced.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some amiibo ideas, like having the character-specific amiibo being switched out with other figures (like Nendoroids...) and How DIVA room was made into this amiibo idea. (+ the Miku amiibo could be part of a special bundle including the game. It was a thought after all.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The HUD, or a re invented hud to accommodate 2 sets of stats. I wanted something more futuristic looking and attractive. It’s on the clunky side, but that was 2016, things change over time... (I used Anamanaguchi song “MIKU”, as an example.)

[​IMG]
    The logo for the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA E Working Title. It, like my intentions with amiibo, DIVA Room, Songs, Modules, and Accessories holds a subtle Nintendo reference that’s not so apparent at 1st glance.

[​IMG]
    Did you know that I had ideas for the Switch to dock into an arcade version of the game? Now you know, and probably see why this didn’t go as far.
    For the fun if it, here’s what I been listening to while putting this list together:

Ghosts Play to the Audience (Pinnochio-P)
    Promise (Samfree*)
    Ai-Kabota (DECO*27)
    Abstract Nonsense (Neru)
    Whatever, Whatever, Whatever (z’5 + Neru)
    Let’s Drop Dead (Neru + z’5)
    Come This Way Baby (Supercell)
    ODDS & ENDS (Supercell)
    Cumulonimbus Graffiti (Supercell)

*It was when I got into this culture (and into making concepts.) that Samfree passed away on September 24th 2015. When you think about it, being a “Nintendo-only” guy with the lost of Satoru Iwata on July 11th the same year, made even sadder by the fact a old dog of mine was put to rest in the evening prior (probably down to the same period of time through time zones.) It’s a sad, but interesting coincidence to point out with me.​

18. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

I don’t know why this fourm is already silent. I suppose that supposed market Speedysonic7850 talked about isn’t that big as he made it look like. If I knew any better, then maybe perhaps they may not be ready to comprehend what I spent the last two years dreaming of. Maybe they wern’t well spent after all. There’s still the chance of it happening. I’ll keep working on new ideas, and better simplify there meaning and purpose. This isn’t the end!

To Doctopus regarding EDIT mode: now thinking about it, I think it might work as it’s own stand-alone game, like with DIVA Room and the implementation of amiibo. Posting custom PVs would require a NicoNicoVideo/YouTube account.(Like I said; I will try to better illustrate it through pictures as oppose to text alone!)

19. Kari

Kari Intermediate Player

#19 Kari, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    At least it's big enough to give Sega a reason to release the games in NA/EU lol. Seriously, just because no one comments on your ideas you can't blame the whole market. No DIVA player is forced to register in this forum.
    And your next sentence seems completely overweening to me. I think you're not ready to comprehend that the cause might be you yourself. Like Speedysonic7850 said, you're not listening to any criticisms. You just want to hear that your ideas are the best thing ever, period. So why would someone take a delight in discussing with you?

And to be honest, I don't know what to write about your ideas lol. Your drawings are way too confusing for me. It seems like you have tons of ideas but I honestly doubt everything fits together. But as you said, keep working on new ideas.
    I would appreciate a Switch game but the DIVA main series should stay on PS.

WWEdeadman likes this.
  20. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

You’re right, I got a little overzealious that time... I just feel embarassed just looking at the fact I don’t take well to criticism or the silence. I am trying my best to better illustrate these ideas in a way people can better understand. I hailed from another game community that to me, was imfamous for it’s hostile and repetitive users. I try to be different, but at the same time understanding this is an entirely different userbase.

I’d stick around, spitball a few ideas, (not just by me.) and see how it could all go down. The possibility for a REAL game on Nintendo Switch is becoming more realistic with every sales record broken, and my visions are at least unique enough to stand out from the crowd. Even if it means reinventing the wheel for those two years... If they can take advantage of the Switch beyond Joy-Con and Multiplayer, then they can create something special.